Director of Public Health
Company: Massachusetts Public Health Association
Posted on: April 4, 2021
Job Posting for City of Chelsea: Director of Public Health
Organization:-- City of Chelsea Department of Public Health Summary
of Position The Director of Public Health is responsible for all
administrative, technical, managerial and supervisory duties
related to the City's Public Health Department. This includes
directing the City's health programs, mandates and nursing
services. The Public Health Director ensures compliance with
Federal, State and Local laws and regulations related to public
health and the safety of City residents. The Director also provides
administrative support to the Board of Health and carries out its
directives. The Director assesses the City's health needs, promotes
control of disease, and establishes and maintains methods to reduce
risk factors. The Director works with other City Departments, State
and local agencies and community based organizations. Public Health
- Develop and recommend all City public and environmental health
programs and policies.
- Ensure efficient enforcement and compliance with State and
Local laws and regulations. May collaborate with Law Department to
institute court proceedings to enforce orders.
- Establish and maintain procedures for accurate assessment of
the City's health and risk factors. Gather and evaluate
health-related data and facts to properly assess the City's health
needs and make recommendations for improvements and
- Promote control of communicable diseases, investigate
disease-related complaints, establish and maintain methods to
reduce risk factors.
- Act as an agent for the Board of Health in assigned matters
relating to the control and efficient administration of the City's
public health matters.
- Assist the Board of Health and the City in the administration
and enforcement of City and State health policies and special
assignments and projects. This includes programs and services which
address issues such as health inspections, rabies, hazardous waste
and tobacco control.
- Provide expert consultation regarding disease prevention and
control to residents.
- Work with local emergency planning departments to develop
guidelines regarding environmental pollution, hazardous waste and
- Work with healthcare providers, community based organizations
and private businesses to build coalitions for coordination of
policy development, community education, inspection and
- Oversee enforcement of State Environmental Code. ---
Investigate nuisances that may be injurious to health.
- Educate and provide information to residents regarding public
health and safety risks.
- Oversee all health clinics provided by the City.
- Oversee all contracts with community based organizations
related to substance use disorders and community health.
- Work with regional municipal partners to collaborate on public
- Maintain confidential information. Leadership
- Provide coaching, leadership, discipline and guidance to
- Work collaboratively with other City Departments.
- Provide support and backup to the position of Director of
- Work effectively with State and local agencies, regional public
health collaborations and community based organizations.
- Attend and participate in Board of Health meetings.
- Maintain accurate and timely public health records and related
statistical data and filing systems.
- Provide administrative support to the Board of Health,
including preparing agendas and materials for all regular and
special meetings and hearings.
- Perform all necessary follow-up for decisions or
- File all required Federal, State and Local reports in a timely
- Prepare and submit all required paperwork for reimbursement for
the administration of vaccines and other health programs.
- Manage all accounts payable and receivables.
- Apply for and administer public health related grants on behalf
of the City. Other Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform other related duties as assigned. Qualifications
- Master's Degree in Public Health or related field. Experience
- Five (5) years of experience in public health or comparable
private sector work. Experience must display a thorough
understanding and competence in matters that are the responsibility
of a Public Health Director.
- Three (3) years of supervisory experience.
- Municipal and supervisory experience preferred. Skills,
Knowledge, & Abilities
- Knowledge and experience in principles of Public Health and
Massachusetts Health Law.
- Supervisory experience with the ability to effectively coach,
motivate, discipline and provide guidance to staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in
- Ability to oversee and administer public health community
- Ability to network and maintain partnerships with other City
Departments, community based organizations and related public
- Ability to use computers, Microsoft Office Suite, including
Word and Excel, and other office equipment.
- Ability to create and effectively deliver presentations.
- Ability to work as a team member in a diverse income and ethnic
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality in matters
relating to individual health information. Supervision Supervision
- Direct: City Manager and/or HHS Director (if and when
- Indirect: Deputy City Manager-- Supervision Given:
- Direct: Public Health Nurse
- Indirect: TBD Special Considerations Interaction is with a
diverse population at the work site and in home visits; must be
ambulatory. Sound speech and hearing needed to effectively
communicate with people of varying ability in the general public.
Must be physically able to assist the physically impaired. To Apply
Qualified candidates submit a cover letter and resume to Human
Resources, City of Chelsea, Room 301, 500 Broadway, Chelsea, MA
02150. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org , or fax to: (617)
Keywords: Massachusetts Public Health Association, Chelsea , Director of Public Health, Executive , Chelsea, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!