Bridge Inspection Team Leader
Posted on: May 27, 2023
An agency on the move, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) takes great pride in connecting the Commonwealth's residents and communities. Powered by a growing data-analytics discipline - and working in conjunction with municipalities, public agencies and the private sector - we're finding new ways to improve the Bay State's transportation infrastructure.
MassDOT is responsible for developing, implementing, and coordinating transportation policies and projects for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and to efficiently plan, design, construct, and maintain a safe statewide transportation system which effectively meets the transportation needs of the Commonwealth.
MassDOT's divisions include: Highway, Aeronautics, Registry of Motor Vehicles, Rail & Transit, and Planning & Enterprise Services. There are approximately 3,600 employees across the organization.
The incumbent of this position will conduct inspections and maintain and administer the Division's inspection program for MassDOT and municipally owned bridges and tunnels in accordance with the requirements of the National Bridge and Tunnel Inspection Standards (NBIS, NTIS) as defined in the Code of Federal Regulations, 23 CFR art 650 Subpart C and E. They also inspect bridges that do not meet the NBIS definition of a bridge and can be assigned to inspect other ancillary and appurtenant highway structures and perform other inspection related engineering duties on an as needed basis. The primary purpose of this work is to perform the inspection of bridges, tunnels and ancillary highway structures in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to ensure that they are safe for the traveling public to use.
Duties and Responsibilities
The shift for this position is 7am-3:30pm. This position may be required to work nights and/or weekends based on project assignment.
Qualifications Required at Hire (List knowledge, skills and abilities)
This position is eligible for a five-thousand dollar ($5,000) signing bonus (Signing Bonus) if you are newly hired into the Unit E collective bargaining unit at MassDOT. The Signing Bonus will be paid in two parts: 1) $3,000 (less applicable taxes) included in the employee's first paycheck. 2) $2,000 (less applicable taxes) after the successful completion of the employee's probationary period.
Minimum Entrance Requirements
This requisition will remain open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
All job applications must be submitted online through MassCareers to be considered.
Applicants must have (A) a Bachelor's Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering from a college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, and (B) an Engineer-In-Training certification or Professional Engineer registration, and (C) at least two (2) years of bridge inspection experience, and (D) possess the minimum qualifications to be in charge of a bridge inspection team as specified in 23 CFR Part 650 Subpart C by having one of the following required combinations of training and experience:
(1) Possession of a Professional Engineer registration and successful completion of a Federal Highway Administration approved comprehensive bridge inspection training course; or
(2) A minimum of five (5) years' experience in bridge inspection assignments in a responsible capacity and successful completion of a Federal Highway Administration approved comprehensive bridge inspection training course; or
(3) Certification as a Level III or IV Bridge Safety Inspector under the National Society of Professional Engineers' program for National Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET) and successful completion of a Federal Highway Administration approved comprehensive bridge inspection training course; or
(4) A Bachelor's Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering and an Engineer-in-Training certification and two (2) years of bridge inspection experience and successful completion of a Federal Highway Administration approved comprehensive bridge inspection training course; or
(5) An Associate's Degree in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering Technology and four (4) years of bridge inspection experience and successful completion of a Federal Highway Administration approved comprehensive bridge inspection training course.
A minimum of five (5) years experience in the next lower Bridge Inspector title in addition to successful completion of a Federal Highway Administration approved comprehensive bridge inspection training course, may be substituted for the Bachelor's Degree and Professional Engineer registration.
Must be able to successfully complete all federal and state training required to meet federal NBIS regulations and safety standards.
Based on assignment, a current and valid Massachusetts Class D Motor Vehicle Operator's license is required.
Based on assignment, SCUBA certification from a recognized educational program may be required.
Executive Order #595: As a condition of employment, successful applicants will be required to have received COVID-19 vaccination or an approved exemption as of their start date. Details relating to demonstrating compliance with this requirement will be provided to applicants selected for employment. Applicants who receive an offer of employment who can provide documentation that the vaccine is medically contraindicated or who object to vaccination due to a sincerely held religious belief may make a request for exemption.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Keywords: MASS, Chelsea , Bridge Inspection Team Leader, Hospitality & Tourism , Chelsea, Massachusetts
here to apply!