Principal Embedded Safety Engineer
Posted on: November 19, 2022
Who We Are
Our work matters - robotics is transforming the world of commerce.
Every day our intelligent robots are responsible for getting food
and merchandise to thousands of stores across North America. We're
an industry changer - we created the first and only fully
autonomous, end-to-end supply chain solution. Today, we are driving
towards even bigger ideas - and we have the people, technology and
leadership to fully realize these aspirations. We have
theexcitement and ambition of a startup with the benefits and
resources of a proven organization.
What You'll Do
Symbotic is looking to hire a Principal Embedded Safety Engineer
for our controls engineering team in Wilmington, MA. The Principal
Firmware Embedded Engineer will be part of team that designs and
develops a state-of-the-art safety system within our automation
solution. This role lives within our Bot Controls team and plays a
critical role in delivering a robust safety system that allows our
system to run safely and efficiently.
In This Role
- Design and develop software strategies for near real time
environments in C++.
- Implement object-oriented software using up-to-date programming
- Implement, document and maintain Linux and embedded real- time
code and shell scripts (PERL, Bash, Python).
- Understand, document and maintain existing code (C/C++, some
- Support system testing of components and subsystems.
- Troubleshoot system problems in production or design by
investigating issues related to product performance or production
difficulties, primarily through log analysis.
- Evaluate and process engineering change requests.
What You'll Need
- Minimum of 10+ years of professional experience developing real
time embedded software and device drivers. Familiarity with
networking protocols and control systems.
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Science in a related engineering
discipline ( i.e. Computer Science, Mathematics, Electrical
- The qualified candidate must have experience with Object
Oriented design using C++. Expert level C++ coding skills and
design pattern, suitable for real time environments.
- Experience with software process and version control
- Strong background in Linux shell scripting (especially Python
and bash ), familiarity with grep, regex and parsing; and file
system command line utilities.
- Understanding of functional safety and safety programming.
- In-depth knowledge of real time or embedded operating systems (
e.g.,VxWorks , FreeRTOS , SafeRTOS ) and threading and
communication issues related to real time operating systems (for
mobile robotics or control systems would be ideal).
- POSIX multi-threading (thread priority, thread arbitration),
synchronization mechanisms (mutexes, semaphores), shared memory,
event and signal handling, and inter-process communications.
- Low level communication protocols and sockets implementations,
UDP, TCP/IP, TCP/NFS, and related alignment and packing
- Experience with programming and debugging for
- Expert level communication (oral and written) and documentation
skills; must be comfortable explaining complex software systems and
- A hands-on problem solver with excellent software design and
- Previous experience working in a team with more and less
- This person must be able to work in a fast-paced environment
and support unscheduled events.
- This person must be a self-starter and highly motivated.
What Will Move You to the Top of the List
- Exposure to robotics and control systems , especially for
mobile robot applications.
Symbotic is an automation technology leader reimagining the supply
chain with its end-to-end, AI-powered robotic and software
platform. Symbotic reinvents the warehouse as a strategic asset for
the world's largest retail, wholesale, and food & beverage
companies. Applying next-gen technology, high-density storage and
machine learning to solve today's complex distribution challenges,
Symbotic enables companies to move goods with unmatched speed,
agility, accuracy and efficiency. As the backbone of commerce the
Symbotic platform transforms the flow of goods and the economics of
supply chain for its customers. For more information, visit
We are a community of innovators, collaborators and pioneers who
embrace our differences, because we know unique perspectives make
us stronger and smarter. Every perspective matters. We depend on
the collective voices of our employees, customers and community to
help guide us as we build a better place to work - for you and the
world. That's why we're proud to be an equal opportunity
We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry,
religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age,
citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity,
gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.by
Keywords: Symbotic, Chelsea , Principal Embedded Safety Engineer, Other , Chelsea, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!